WHAT IS AN ACCOUNTANT?
An accountant is a professional who is responsible for interpreting and keeping financial records of a company or business. They are also responsible for a wide range of financial-related tasks whether from an individual client or large company or business that hires them.
Choosing the right accountant is one of the most important decision and a big step for a growing business. Look for the one that suits you well and your business’ accounting needs.
It’s your business’ best interests to have an experienced, reliable, capable, ready to help whenever you needed one and a trustworthy person in handling the most critical part of your business – the finances.
Hiring a good one can help your business with not just tax returns, but with business planning, long-term tax planning, networking, bookkeeping, payrolls and business’ assets and liabilities.
Here are the tips for choosing the right accountant:
* CHOOSE A CERTIFIED ACCOUNTANT – professional accountants may be called Certified Public Accountants (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) – trained to meet accounting requirements in participating on the business’ team. Given the greater knowledge and experience of a professional accountant, they can add value to the business, so better to hire a professional accountant from the start of your growing business like accountants Nottingham.
* KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE – you can ask them about the industries of their past or current clients and what are the unique aspects of it. They have enough practical knowledge that is backed by experience.
* ORGANIZED – every accountant goes through a lot of documents (physical and digital), they must be organized and have a systematic approach in doing their work, in order not to lose their way through paper works and they won’t miss any schedules such as tax filing, etc.
* APPROACHABLE – they must be willing to explain and communicate to you in a way you can understand all of these accounting jargon.
* OFFER MORE THAN MANAGING NUMBERS – an accountant should be able to help you in improving your business cash flow managements, work within a budget and how to enhance and grow your business.
* TRUSTWORTHY – an accountant must have the integrity to ensure that the confidential data of the client is secure and won’t leak.
Prior in hiring an accountant, take some time to evaluate where you need assistance the most and it is best to interview a couple of accountants to determine which would be the right fit for you and your growing business. Read more about growing your business on this website.
If you have friends or family members in the industry that has an accountant, that they fully trust and enjoy working with, a referral would be the best way to start with.
Bear in mind that hiring a professional accountant through referral, is a personal decision (for you and your business), may be what’s best for your friends’ or family’s business might not be the best choice for you.
If you chose a professional accountant based on these tips given, you are saving yourself on a bigger risk – making the wrong decision for your company or business.